Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Submissions center on self-expression and reveal a range of topics that are top-of-mind for teens, from mental health and gun safety to the impact of social media and more
DEERFIELD, Ill.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
Walgreens is pleased to announce the winners and finalists for our 13th annual Expressions by Walgreens art challenge. The national contest provides monetary awards to winning high school student submissions from around the country.
Eligible entries are judged in four categories including visual arts, media arts, spoken word and creative writing. Additionally, prizes are presented to student submissions earning the most online votes in each category and to Teacher Champions who are chosen from represented high schools.
View our compilation highlighting this year’s contest and participants here.
“It gives us great joy to offer this program every year. Expressions by Walgreens is designed to encourage youth to find their voice and express themselves through art,” says Alethia Jackson, senior vice president, ESG and Chief DEI Officer, Walgreens Boots Alliance. “Expressions is a platform for teens to release what’s on their minds and in their hearts, recognizing that the high school years can often be filled with many pressures and distractions. With that in mind, we want to help participating teens harness the therapeutic benefits of self-expression through art by giving them a platform to do so. We thank this year’s participants and congratulate all winners and finalists.”
This year’s contest brought in more than 4,500 student art submissions from teens living throughout various communities across the United States. More than 25% of entries addressed the topic of school shootings, while another 30% of entries tackled a topic related to mental health. This year also saw another record with more than 46,000 votes received for People’s Champ winners.
Following is the complete list of this year’s winners and finalists:
- First Place: (How Many More) Lisa L., Icon Art Academy Irvine, Irvine, CA
- Second Place: (Manipulation) Samantha C., Libertyville High School, Libertyville, IL
- Third Place: (Addiction) Grace K., Valencia High School, Placentia, CA
- People’s Champ: (Misfit) Sabrina C., Council Rock High School, South Holland, PA
- First Place: (My Sister) Sofia P., De La Salle Institute, Chicago, IL
- Second Place: (Don’t Go) Gina. P., McMillen High School, Murphy, TX
- Third Place: (Reality Becomes a Nightmare) Danalyn R., Jonathan C., Emily G., Gabriela C., Jerson M., University Prep Value High School, Los Angeles, CA
- People’s Champ: (Corrupted World) Azariah M., Powell High School, Powell, TN
- First Place: (Two Worlds) Teonna R., Jefferson High School, Sioux Falls, SD
- Second Place: (My Thoughts and Prayers) Siena D., Canyon High School, Anaheim, CA
- Third Place: (Snowflakes) Sonii G., JP McCaskey High School, Lancaster, PA
- People’s Champ: (Crown of Liberty) Huma K., Blue Valley West High School, Overland Park, KS
- First Place: (I Want to Live) Fiona D., The Dalles High School, The Dalles, OR
- Second Place: (3 Months) Reese B., Katy Jordan High School, Fulshear TX
- Third Place: (This Skin) Seryia H., South Elgin High School, South Elgin, IL
- People’s Champ: (Frost in April) Chloe A., The Tatnall School, Wilmington, DE
- East/Northeast: Lucinda Stein, Gorham High School, Gorham, ME
- South: Whitney Davis, CE King High School, Houston, TX
- Midwest: Michael Cullinane, Nicholas Senn High School, Chicago, IL
- West: Genevieve Anderson, Capital High School, Helena, MT
About Expressions by Walgreens
Expressions was established by Walgreens to educate, empower and equip young people and their communities with insights and resources on issues impacting teens. Since 2009, Expressions by Walgreens has reached approximately one million high school students and awarded more than $375,000 in monetary prizes. More than 500 organizations, high schools, teachers and parents have participated in the program since its inception.
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the U.S. Retail Pharmacy and U.S. Healthcare segments of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), an integrated healthcare, pharmacy and retail leader with a 170-year heritage of caring for communities. WBA’s purpose is to create more joyful lives through better health. Operating nearly 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving nearly 10 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services, including those that drive equitable access to care for the nation’s medically underserved populations. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with fully integrated physical and digital platforms supported by the latest technology to deliver high-quality products and services in communities nationwide.
View source version on businesswire.com: